March Madness may be canceled, but that doesn’t mean we can’t keep ourselves entertained with the spirit of competition. Instead of watching the top college basketball talent and hoping for nail-biting upsets, Weedmaps decided to make our own bracket of weed strains to determine which among them would prove to be the most popular with you, our beloved Weedmaps faithful.
That’s right, we pulled a list of the most popular strains and put them on the field to see which ones you think are worthy of advancing to the next matchup until a final flower is crowned champion. It went something like this:
- See which strains pages were the most visited during February
- Seed the top 30 strains, leaving 2 slots open for wild cards
- Place the strains into a cool looking bracket (See it below)
Was the selection process super scientific? No, not exactly. Will it be fun anyway? Definitely. Why do any of this? For your enjoyment, obviously — we all deserve some low stakes fun for the next week or so, don’t you think?
Cool, so here is how it’s going to go from here:
- Strains will be pitted up against each other in matchups starting at 4:20 p.m. PST. Voting will remain open for 24 hours. All voting will happen on Weedmaps’ Instagram story stream. You can fill out your own bracket by downloading it here.
- To vote in wild cards: starting at 12 a.m. PST on selection Sunday, click into our stories and write in the wild card strain you want to see enter the tournament.
- To vote on matchups: starting at 4:20 p.m. on a matchup day, click into our stories and vote for your favorite strain in the matchup, and repeat until you’ve voted for every matchup in the round.
- To find out who advanced: the winners who advance will be announced in a recap article on Weedmaps News. You can find those articles posted below as the tournament progresses.
- To find out who won: the winning strain will be posted on Weedmaps’ Instagram and will be covered in a Weedmaps News recap.
Here is the entire schedule, so mark your calendars:
- 3/15: Selection Sunday — The top 30 strains are announced and fans vote in 2 strains into the wild card slots.
- 3/16: Monday Madness Begins — 16 matchups between 32 strains. Fans vote on Instagram stories.
- 3/18: Wednesday’s Sweet Sixteen — 8 matchups pitting the remaining 16 strains. Fans vote on Instagram stories.
- 3/20: Friday’s Elite Eight — 4 matchups pitting the remaining 8 strains. Fans vote on Instagram stories.
- 3/22: Sunday’s Final Four — 2 matchups pitting the remaining 4 strains. Fans vote on Instagram stories.
- 3/24: Championship Tuesday — One story, one strain for glory. Fans vote on Instagram stories.
- 3/25: Weedmaps Wednesday — Our champion is announced.
- Selection Sunday: TBA
- Madness Begins: TBA
- Sweet Sixteen: TBA
- Elite Eight: TBA
- Final Four: TBA
- Championship: TBA
- A Flower is Crowned: TBA
Featured image by Jaclyn Sears/Weedmaps